<$BlogRSDURL$>
Prairie Landing
Tuesday, February 13, 2007
  Snow day!
I've long hated February 13. When I was 8, it fell on a Monday -- which, as everyone knows, is far scarier than Friday the 13th -- and my guinea pig Izod died. The day before Valentine's Day. Ever after, I've viewed this date as nothing good.

Today started out much like that. I woke up bright and early, ready to go run some fun-filled errands before work, but it turned out that there was no hot water. I woke up my ever-handy husband and we studied the manual, but to no avail. So I called the furnace company and prepared for a day of pure suckitude.

From a financial standpoint, nothing good happened today. But overall, I can't complain. Nothing much was going on at work, for once. The furnace guys showed up well before they said they would. They fixed the problem, at least for the moment. (It involved a cookie sheet and a lot of carbon monoxide.) And by the time they left, it was almost noon and it was snowing so hard I blissfully sent out an email -- "Whereabouts: Working from home today."

My office closed at 3:30 because of the weather. This has never happened before, and really it didn't quite happen today, seeing as how all of my coworkers were still there 2 hours later. But I quit work at 6 and read a book until 7:15, when I walked out into the "blizzard" to see my friend Gordon play.

(As I told him, "Cue: 'When I lived in New England . . . '" Because the "blizzard" is only 6, maybe 8 inches tops. I don't think Chicago gets a lot of snow, but the furnace guys begged to disagree. It used to get a lot of snow here, they said ominously. All I know is, it was maybe 15 degrees and the snow was so fine and so fast that the back of my throat was scraped raw and my cheeks were red for an hour. And that's pretty cold, fossil fuels or no.)

But I stayed home from work, and it was half-price wine night, and my sis and her friend and Queen of the Maye came out, and who's to argue with that?

So for once, a 2/13 turned out OK.

We'll see how 2/14 turns out, post-half-price wine night.
 

All about my deep-dish lifestyle.

ARCHIVES
February 2004 / March 2004 / April 2004 / May 2004 / June 2004 / July 2004 / August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / April 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / November 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / May 2007 /


My inspirations: A Ianqui in Greenwich Village - Noise Footprint's Journal - PHILLY Roll - Storm Trooper In Drag's Journal - Chesapeake Explorer - Colliculus - CatTastic - Oh Dog, You Sleuth! - Pangaea Goes to Spookytown - Bitter Orange - Edible Chicago - ilovero-bots

Powered by Blogger