<$BlogRSDURL$>
Prairie Landing
Friday, December 23, 2005
  The vet: Pottery Barn meets Toone-town
I forget if I've mentioned my vet before. He got into some kind of dispute with the veterinary hospital and struck out on his own. As a result, the last time I went to see him it was in a single concrete-and-cinderblock room containing nothing but a metal exam table, a folding table with a laptop and a credit card machine, and a few folding chairs occupied by patients and their owners. The setup ensured a maximum of noise, since the yowling of whoever was being examined would set off all the other animals. Also the owners would make spectator-sport comments like, "Yeah, THAT's gonna be cold." So much for HIPAA.

He assured me that he was building a new hospital. What he didn't mention was that the construction would be in that very room. So today I went over there and was met with a handwritten sign encouraging me to pick my way through the scaffolding and Slavs with jackhammers, ending up, surprisingly enough, in someone's condo. Now, instead of concrete and folding chairs, there are all the trappings of Christmas in Lincoln Park -- blonde hardwood, stainless steel, and one of those open bookshelves from Crate & Barrel loaded with family photos and Hill's prescription products. Wandering around were 6 or 8 cats in various states of well-being, all the way from an arthritic oldster with renal failure to two hyper kittens wearing red-and-green feather collars. It reminded me of my friend Toone's house, happy home to a dozen or so kitties.

I like my vet a lot. He was the first vet ever to successfully treat G's stomach problems, plus he's always rattling off the latest studies from the University of Colorado or wherever. I can only assume that a lot of other people feel the same way -- not only because of his office vagaries, but also because it took some sleuthing just to figure out where he'd gone.

As your reward for reading that pointless description, here's a picture of the little bugger himself, on his leash:
 

All about my deep-dish lifestyle.

ARCHIVES
February 2004 / March 2004 / April 2004 / May 2004 / June 2004 / July 2004 / August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / April 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / November 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / May 2007 /


My inspirations: A Ianqui in Greenwich Village - Noise Footprint's Journal - PHILLY Roll - Storm Trooper In Drag's Journal - Chesapeake Explorer - Colliculus - CatTastic - Oh Dog, You Sleuth! - Pangaea Goes to Spookytown - Bitter Orange - Edible Chicago - ilovero-bots

Powered by Blogger