<$BlogRSDURL$>
Prairie Landing
Wednesday, May 18, 2005
  Some things that happened
Yesterday I went to the library and on my way in I passed a pack of guys in suits handing out Christian tracts. Not the lurid Jack Chick kind, just the regular "You're only a heartbeat away!" ones.

The downtown library used to bother me because it seemed so plain and boring compared to the big downtown library in Baltimore. Here's a picture:


On the outside, of course, it's completely insane. I don't know who decided this was a good idea:


Unfortunately no pictures are readily available of the completely over-the-top, gilt-coated Baltimore library. I guess my tastes have changed over the past year and a half, because I now think that baroque public architecture bespeaks urban decay and is therefore kind of sad and tawdry. (I also LOVE bungalows, which I bitched about in my very first entry on this blog, I think.)

Anyway, the librarian wouldn't let me check out any books because I didn't have my library card. I told her it was stolen and she asked three stupid questions:
#1. "Is it at home?" No. I just said my wallet was stolen. (In fact, "stolen" was only one of many possibilities. What actually happened is, one day I forgot to zip my backpack all the way and my wallet just disappeared.)
#2. "Have you registered the stolen card with us?" Um, no. Who calls the library when they're missing their wallet? What, was I supposed to call the video store, too? The grocery store?
#3. "Well, then, do you have a police report?" No, I didn't have a police report, and if I did, I doubt I would've brought it with me to the fricking library.

As punishment for not having followed the rules, I have to pay $1 for a replacement card. But they don't process cards after 6:30 p.m. Instead I had to come back another day and fill out one of the forms behind that lady -- "I mean, that gentleman," she corrected herself -- of which there were none.

I went back outside and a gray-haired, Volvo-hippie looking woman was gesturing to one of the Bible guys, making a rectangle between her index fingers and thumbs. She was saying, "Now where I'm from is right here, over near the Massachusetts border. . . " The guy was riffling through his tracts and clearly trying to figure out an exit strategy.
 

All about my deep-dish lifestyle.

ARCHIVES
February 2004 / March 2004 / April 2004 / May 2004 / June 2004 / July 2004 / August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / April 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / November 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / May 2007 /


My inspirations: A Ianqui in Greenwich Village - Noise Footprint's Journal - PHILLY Roll - Storm Trooper In Drag's Journal - Chesapeake Explorer - Colliculus - CatTastic - Oh Dog, You Sleuth! - Pangaea Goes to Spookytown - Bitter Orange - Edible Chicago - ilovero-bots

Powered by Blogger