<$BlogRSDURL$>
Prairie Landing
Sunday, February 06, 2005
  Two L stories


Story #1: Gross
There's a really fat, really crazy woman who takes up two seats and covers herself with a big dirty quilt. She smells awful and gibbers to herself. Every so often she clears her throat or coughs or something and it's so loud everyone on the car jumps, even at rush hour. I mean it'll really scare the shit out of you if you're sitting near her. One time it was clear from the sound of things that she'd coughed up something really big. I looked over and saw her slowly finger-painting on the window with it.

Story #2: Eerie
When I take the train home from school at night, there are usually some DePaul students coming home from their downtown performances. You can tell by their bulky instruments, unceasing cell phone conversations, or evidence that they were just on a stage, such as their ability to make their voices carry throughout the car when they shout random lines at each other or the "audience."

Two students were sitting behind me singing to each other. Their voices were soft but powerful - obviously trained, not like if I were singing a song to somebody. I was like, "Prima donnas," but it didn't really bother me since it was quiet and I just kept on reading. But their duet was impossible to ignore. It was intricate, in a minor key, and went on and on. They sung it just above a whisper but intensely, and so close to my ears, I got shivers. I only pretended to read about rheumatoid arthritis until we got to the DePaul stop. They got off and I heard from outside a final operatic holler from the guy.

***
We picked our condo primarily on the basis of its location relative to the L. Sometimes now I walk down (or up) the stairs to the train and I'm just amazed that something so prosaic could be worth so much money to me.
 

All about my deep-dish lifestyle.

ARCHIVES
February 2004 / March 2004 / April 2004 / May 2004 / June 2004 / July 2004 / August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / April 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / November 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / May 2007 /


My inspirations: A Ianqui in Greenwich Village - Noise Footprint's Journal - PHILLY Roll - Storm Trooper In Drag's Journal - Chesapeake Explorer - Colliculus - CatTastic - Oh Dog, You Sleuth! - Pangaea Goes to Spookytown - Bitter Orange - Edible Chicago - ilovero-bots

Powered by Blogger